Satellite Image Navigation, Registration and Calibration Engineer
- Reference DE-HP-4560
- Location Darmstadt, Germany
- Closing date 30 July 2021
HE Space is a successful international space company. For nearly 40 years, we have been supporting our customers with qualified experts in the field of engineering, science and administration. We are currently looking for a Satellite Image Navigation, Registration and Calibration Engineer to support our customer in Germany.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
As part of the Satellite Image Navigation, Registration and Calibration team, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Monitor the medium-term to long-term performance of Level 1 products;
- Improvement of Level 1 algorithms and the development of new ones;
- Support the procurement of space segment simulators and processors;
- Contribute to INRC developments, in particular the preparation of the PIQMICS/MICMICS Monitoring Systems, MTG INR Reference Processor, and Commissioning support;
- Contribute to the CO2M mission development;
- Product Quality monitoring of the operational Level 1 products (MSG SEVIRI Level 1.5, Sentinel-3 SLSTR Level 1B, Sentinel-3 OLCI Level 1B, and EPS AVHRR L1B products);
- Algorithm maintenance of the operational Level 1 Processors (MSG SEVIRI Level 1.5 Image Processing Facility, Sentinel-3 SLSTR Level 1B Instrument Processing Facility, Sentinel-3 OLCI Level 1B Instrument Processing Facility, and EPS AVHRR L1B Product Processing Facility)
- Contribute to the procurement of the Data Processing packages for MTG-S mission (PDG-S, IQT-S, SCCDB-S) and to the processes and operational documentation for usage of these tools.
Skills & Experience
You will have the following qualifications and relevant experience:
- University degree in remote sensing or a related subject
- Understanding of optical remote sensing techniques from space
- A thorough understanding of the interaction between instrument/platform characteristics and processing impact, including product quality
- Remote sensing methodologies and techniques, including calibration and Level 1 processing
- Development of Level 1 data processing systems for large (multi-instrument) operational space programmes
- Validation of Level 1 data processing systems
- Standards for data formats, in particular NetCDF-4 or HDF-5
- Software engineering, requirements specification, design, testing and integration, ideally to ECSS/ISO standards
- Software development in C/C++, Python, under UNIX/Linux, build environments, e.g. make, automake, autoconf, RPM
- Fluency in English is mandatory; knowledge of another European language is an advantage.
This job is located in Darmstadt. We welcome applicants who are available from September 2021 (or as soon as possible thereafter).
If you think you have what it takes for this job, please send your CV together with a letter of motivation (both in English and in Word) to Leandros Foteinias, by clicking on the button “Apply for this job” quoting job DE-4560 as soon as possible.
An exciting and dynamic international working environment awaits you!
Please note: Due to work permit requirements for this position, please apply only if you are citizen of a European Union state or if you are eligible to obtain a work permit for Germany.