Remote Sensing Scientific and Technical Support - Passive Microwave Imaging
- Reference DE-HP-5173
- Location Darmstadt, Germany
- Closing date 30 November 2023
HE Space is a successful international space company. For 40 years, we have been supporting our customers with qualified experts in the field of engineering, science and administration. HE Space has joined forces with CS Group to lead the engineering and digital space market in Europe and to provide highly skilled consulting.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
As part of the Remote Sensing and Products (RSP) Division, you will have the following responsibilities on the microwave and sub-mm wave missions in the EPS-SG ground segment and for future missions at EUMETSAT:
- Scientific and technical support on the prototype development of Level 1 and Level 2 product generation functions from passive microwave and sub-millimetre (PMW) radiometers;
- Scientific and technical support on the development of calibration and validation tools for the Level 1B and Level 2 PMW products;
- Generate and maintain the test and auxiliary data sets for the development, verification and validation of the operational processors.
- Technical support on the operational implementation and validation of the operational processors;
- Inter-compare results between the prototypes and the operational processors;
- Scientific and technical support on the product generation refinement and evolution;
- Support the PMW satellite missions in close cooperation with scientists, external agencies and industrial partners (e.g. Science Advisory Group meetings);
- Review results from external studies;
- Participating in ground segment and/or instrument reviews, progress and technical meetings;
- Extracting relevant information from the PMW processing chains to perform regular production and quality monitoring reports;
- Reporting anomalies in product services, contributing to their diagnosis and tracking their resolution;
- Updating design and other relevant documentation as needed (e.g. product processing facilities).
Skills & Experience
You will have the following qualifications and relevant experience:
- University degree in remote sensing, meteorology, physics, engineering, IT/computational science, or another relevant discipline is required;
- Experience of processing of Level 1 and Level 2 data from passive microwave instruments is desirable;
- Strong experience in scientific software development (modularity, readability, adaptability) using configuration management is essential;
- Very good skills in Python;
- Very good skills in one of the following high-level programming language: C/C++, JAVA, Fortran;
- Fluency in Linux/Unix operating systems;
- Demonstrated experience in writing scientific and technical documents;
- Fluency in English is mandatory; knowledge of another European language is an advantage.
The following experience would be advantageous:
- Familiarity with programming platform tools like MATLAB;
- Experience with microwave radiative transfer models;
- Familiarity with numerical weather prediction forecast data;
- Experience with calibration and validation of satellite data products;
- Experience with the specification, development and validation of satellite data processing chains;
- Experience in understanding and specifying requirements;
- Experience in quality control of satellite data, product monitoring and reporting;
- Experience in software unit, acceptance, system and integration testing;.
This job is located in Darmstadt.
If you think you have what it takes for this job, please send your CV (in English and in Word or PDF) to Viktoria Panicharova, by clicking on the button “Apply for this job” quoting job DE-HP-5173.
An exciting and dynamic international working environment awaits you!
Please note: Due to work permit requirements for this position, please apply only if you are citizen of a European Union state or if you are eligible to obtain a work permit for Germany.