Future EO Missions System Engineer
- Reference NL-HP-24001
- Location Noordwijk, The Netherlands
- Closing date 14 February 2024
HE Space is a successful international space company. For 40 years, we have been supporting our customers with qualified experts in the field of engineering, science and administration. HE Space has joined forces with CS Group to lead the engineering and digital space market in Europe and to provide highly skilled consulting.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
As part of the Engineering and Scientific Support to Earth Observation, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Support the definition and monitoring of activities for the preparation of future ESA Earth Observation (EO) missions, in particular for Copernicus Sentinels, new Earth Explorer/Earth Watch missions, Opportunity Missions, F-sats and Scout missions and operational meteorology missions;
- Provide system engineering support to InCubed upstream missions;
- Review Technical Notes and actively participate to progress meetings and reviews related to EO future mission and system studies;
- Support elaboration of SoWs, system requirements documents (SRD) and other applicable and reference documents for future mission and system studies;
- Contributing to ensure the technical coherency of the system design of future EO missions, including, as needed, functional analysis and design, overall system concept, system level budgets, system performance analyses, definition of spacecraft and/or payload subsystems and related data processing, and interfaces between payload/platform and launcher and ground segment;
- Perform internal studies for future EO missions, in particular to assess he results of external activities or to prepare the formulation of new mission concepts, including preliminary sizing of platform/payload, first estimation of the system engineering and performance budgets, with a focus on the space segment and its interfaces with the launcher and the ground segment;
- Perform internal studies to evaluate the complementarity between ESA EO future missions and other missions (existing or planned by other space organisations), including mission analysis and assessment of potential synergy or overlap of mission capabilities;
- Support work in the area of modelling of system or sub-system aspects for end-to-end performance simulation and system engineering tools for future EO missions.
Skills & Experience
You will have the following qualifications and relevant experience:
- At least Master level (or equivalent) in a relevant technical or scientific discipline (e.g. Space system engineering);
- Good general knowledge of ESA Earth Observation missions;
- Strong and demonstrated background in space system engineering and mission analysis, in particular for Earth Observation missions;
- Experience in space projects, preferably in the Earth Observation field and/or in preparatory activities (phase 0 and A);
- Experience with simulation tools, including Matlab, Python, MS Excel with VBA and STK;
- Good communication and technical writing skills with capabilities to synthesise;
- Good organisation skills;
- Methodical and proactive, with initiative and capability to work autonomously;
- Problem-solving and creativity-oriented attitude;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Experience in space system design, mission analysis and small platform sizing is an asset;
- Knowledge of Earth Observation remote sensing techniques is an asset;
- Experience with MATLAB, STK and MS Excel is an asset.
This job is located in Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
If you think you have what it takes for this job, please send your CV (in English and in Word or PDF) to Kalina Traykova, by clicking on the button “Apply for this job” quoting job NL-HP-24001.
An exciting and dynamic international working environment awaits you!
HE Space recruiting for ESA