Telecommunications Satellite Payload Engineer
- Reference UK - HP - 4360
- Location Harwell, UK
- Closing date 02 October 2020
HE Space is a successful international space company. For nearly 40 years, we have been supporting our customers with qualified experts in the field of engineering, science and administration. We are currently looking for a Telecommunications Satellite Payload Engineer to support our customer in the United Kingdom.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
As part of the Space Segment Section at ESA/ECSAT, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Initiating, monitoring and controlling space segment technology and product development activities for satellite communications under the ARTES Core Competitiveness (CC) and other ARTES programme lines, with a focus on digital communication technologies;
- Liaising with the Procurement Department, the Strategic Programme Line Managers and other relevant Departments of ESA as necessary to fulfil this role;
- Supporting activities of the Ground Segment Section and the creation and implementation of ARTES partnership projects;
- Reporting regularly on the progress, status, schedule and outcome of ARTES activities, including realistic forecasting of milestone completion dates;
- Identifying and defining product and technology needs for future satellite communication services, in particular for digital communication technology and products;
- Supporting the promotion of the ARTES 4.0 programme and the ARTES socio-economic impact analysis;
- Coordinating the provision of expert technical support from other ESA organisational units (e.g. TEC) as required to ensure an effective initiation and management of activities.
Skills & Experience
You will have the following qualifications and relevant experience:
- Master or PhD degree or equivalent qualification in engineering and experience in payload technology and products for telecommunication satellites;
- Experience in managing technology development activities carried out by industry for commercial satellite communication;
- Knowledge of ESA and industrial development, verification and procurement processes;
- Knowledge of satellite communication system architectures, products and market;
- Experience in the specification, design, development and testing of at least one of the following: digital signal processors, communication modems, digital and/or mixed signal ASICs, software defined radios.
- Applicants should also demonstrate strong negotiation skills and contract/subcontract management experience;
- Experience in space segment technology and equipment as well as subsystem design and development are required;
- Experience in the satellite telecommunication industry would be a distinct advantage;
- Fluency in English is mandatory; knowledge of another European language is an advantage.
This job is located in Harwell. We welcome applicants who are available from October 2020 (or as soon as possible thereafter).
If you think you have what it takes for this job, please send your CV together with a letter of motivation (both in English and in Word) to Ms Chiara Grossardi, by clicking on the button “Apply for this job” quoting job UK - HP - 4360 before 02-Oct-20.
An exciting and dynamic international working environment awaits you!