Space Start-up Support Engineer
- Reference NL-HP-4295
- Location Noordwijk or Harwell , The Netherlands
- Closing date 12 June 2020
HE Space is a successful international space company. For nearly 40 years, we have been supporting our customers with qualified experts in the field of engineering, science and administration. We are currently looking for a Space Start-up Support Engineer to support our customer in the Netherlands.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
As part of the ESA Business Incubation Centers, you will have the following responsibilities:
A. Implement BIC activities.
- Support member states’ ESA S2 portfolio:
- Day-to-day contact with ESA S2 contractors (supplier/industry).
- Support the preparation of the ESA Space Solutions procurement proposals.
- Monitor progress of ESA S2 start-ups and reporting.
- Provide support for activities (promotion, training, ...) taking place in the Member States.
- Coordinate with other stakeholders, internal and external to ESA.
- Support expert meetings, particularly selection campaigns meetings with local ESA S2 entities and partners.
- Assess highly innovative projects, particularly in terms of business plan assessment and assessment of the technical and operational requirements applicable to space derived technologies and applications and their integration in terrestrial products and services.
- Ensure timely internal and external reporting by ESA S2 entities and support where needed. Particularly maintaining a Microsoft SharePoint-based reporting system.
- Attraction and evaluation of project proposals:
- Support ESA S2 contractors in the identification and characterization of new products and services exploiting current and next generation of space technologies (e.g. materials, sensors, robotics, software, etc) and satellite systems (e.g. Satcom, Earth Observation and Satellite Navigation) and their integration in non-space domains.
B. Implement grant activities.
- Grant implementation:
- Support TIA-AM developing, implementing, and improving EISI processes (proposal assessment, industry support, evaluation of results).
- Update the TIA Quality Manual with the new processes.
- Report of grant deployment.
- Grant reporting:
- Data collection and analysis to produce the aggregated yearly grant reporting.
- Define and implement strategies to capture and analyze grant impact on SDG-related data on ESA Space Solutions activities in the report.
Skills & Experience
You will have the following qualifications and relevant experience:
A. Implement BIC activities
- Significant experience in management of technology and innovation.
- Sound knowledge of the overall space applications market, and specific experience in specifying, developing, evaluating, and promoting applications making use of technologies transferred from the space domain and the utilization satellite systems.
- Sound knowledge of downstream space services and applications and with relevant space technologies (i.e. satellite communications, navigation, and earth observation).
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- High standard of document drafting.
- Ability to work with software reporting tools particularly Microsoft SharePoint, as well as some familiarity to add features in these reporting tools.
B. Implement Grant activities
- Experience in innovation (i.e., bringing products and services into market) and early stage commercialization.
- Sound knowledge of Data Analytics Software (e.g, Tableau, Python, Matlab, R)
- Familiarity with downstream space services and applications and with relevant space technologies (i.e. satellite communications, navigation and earth observation).
- Experience using open-source Machine learning-related frameworks (e.g., NLTK, TensorFlow) is desirable;
- Fluency in English is mandatory; knowledge of another European language is an advantage. Proficiency in German and/or Italian is desirable.
This job is located in Noordwijk or Harwel. We welcome applicants who are available from [select date] (or as soon as possible thereafter).
If you think you have what it takes for this job, please send your CV together with a letter of motivation (both in English and in Word) to Mr. Leandros Foteinias, by clicking on the button “Apply for this job” quoting job NL-HP-4295 before 12-Jun-20.
An exciting and dynamic international working environment awaits you!