IT Specialist for Scientific Research
- Reference NL-HP-3979
- Location Noordwijk, The Netherlands
- Closing date 31 January 2019
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
As part of the Scientific Support Office at ESA you will have the following responsibilities:
- System administration of all systems used for the COSMOS portal environment located at ESTEC;
- System administration of all the computer systems used by the local Scientific Support Office for scientific research activities (installation, upgrading and regular security patching of the operating systems: Solaris, Oracle Linux, Ubuntu);
- Supporting and maintaining NAS devices, virtual environments, GRID and load balancers;
- Installation, security patching and support of commercial and public domain software (Liferay, content Server, Central Authentication System, Oracle Database, MySQL, web services, directory services, IDL, Matlab, Mathematica, backup services, print services, license services and the like);
- Architectural design and improvement of the existing environment;
- Provide proper documentation on supporting and enhancing the IT infrastructure;
- Support to the maintenance of the scientific publication lists for SCI’s missions; Skills & Experience
Skills & Experience
You will have the following qualifications and relevant experience:
- University degree in the relevant discipline;
- Knowledge of Ubuntu, Oracle VM, Solaris, RedHat and Mac OS, EMC backup solutions and Network attached Storage devices (an Oracle tape library system);
- Experience in Web services (and related software), directory server (Oracle LDAP), database server (Oracle RDBMS and MySQL);
- Experience in Unix-based application software (commercial and public domain);
- Knowledge of managing a GRID system;
- Knowledge of modern programming and scripting languages (java, perl, python);
- Fluency in English is mandatory; knowledge of another European language is an advantage.
This is a one year contract with a possiblity of a prolongation. The job is located in Noordwijk.
If you think you have what it takes for this job, please send us your CV together with a letter of motivation (both in English and in Word) to Ms Agnieszka Iwanczuk at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting job NL-HP-3979 at your earliest convenience.