Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Engineer
- Reference SP - 4217
- Location Barcelona, Spain
- Closing date 14 February 2020
HE Space is a successful international space company. For over 30 years, we have been supporting our customers with qualified experts in the field of engineering, science and administration. We are currently looking for an Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Engineer to support our customer in Spain.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
As part of the Launcher Recovery and Return-To-Base (RRTB) Team, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Investigate and optimize the flight characteristics / flying qualities, stability & controllability of flying vehicles and lifting bodies at various flight envelopes, ranging from free-molecular low hypersonic flight to atmospheric subsonic flight.
- Support vehicle concept development considering an overall system perspective.
- Support the creation of vehicle requirements.
- Perform CFD studies to classify aerodynamic parameters & characteristics at re-entry & flight.
- Development of the GNC layout including sizing, configuration and placement of aerodynamic control surfaces and other actuators, as well as placement of center of mass & aerodynamic center, optimization of aeroshape etc.
- Perform various numerical simulations to classify the vehicle’s flying qualities at re-entry & flight
- Estimate mechanical and thermal loads on the vehicle’s structure during re-entry & flight;
- Validate the suitability of the design concept in regard to the requirements.
Skills & Experience
You will have the following qualifications and relevant experience:
- Master’s degree in aerospace engineering or related field;
- 3+ years’ experience in aerodynamics and/or flight mechanics;
- Good understanding of Flight Mechanics;
- Programming skills in e.g. Python / Matlab / Octave, or similar high-level language;
- CFD experience, preferably using Ansys;
- Good understanding of Atmospheric Flight;
- Knowledge of Supersonic Flight;
- Solid understanding of GNC / Control theory;
- Basic understanding of Solid Mechanics;
- Experience in working with VTOL vehicles and/or re-entry vehicles;
- “Hands-on” experience with development of flying vehicles;
- Knowledge of hypersonic and/or aerothermodynamics is meritorious;
- Fluency in English is mandatory.
This job is located in Barcelona. We welcome applicants who are available from December 2019 (or as soon as possible thereafter).
If you think you have what it takes for this job, please send us your CV together with a letter of motivation (both in English and in Word) to Mr Yannik Dubois, clicking on the button “Apply for this job”, quoting job SP - 4217 before 14-Feb-20.
An exciting and dynamic international working environment awaits you!